Get a Quote: (07) 3351 1722

We all love having beautiful homes and backyards filled with thriving trees and plants, but did you know that some of the most common species can be harmful to man’s best friend?

A large number of plant species cause mild to severe illness in dogs and can even result in death in some cases.  It’s important to be aware of the plants that can be most toxic to your pets so that you can either remove or fence off the offending culprits and keep your furry friends out of harm’s way.

Here we look at some of the more common species found here in Australia:

 

  • Cocos Palm – Ingestion of the dates and berries can result in vomiting and diarrhoea.

 

  • Lily of the Valley – Can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, severe cardiac arrhythmias, drop in heart rate and seizures. It’s important to note that most lily species are particularly dangerous for cats and can result in kidney failure and death if untreated.

 

  • Autumn Crocus – Can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, kidney and liver damage.

 

  • Sago Palm – Highly toxic when eaten. Can cause bloody vomiting and diarrhoea, liver failure and in severe cases, death. The nuts or seeds of the plant are the most toxic part.

 

  • Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow – If eaten can result in vomiting, diarrhoea, salivation, and muscle tremors

 

  • Wandering Jew – Minor to severe skin irritation and rashes, and throat irritation.

 

  • Azalea – This plant is highly poisonous. Just a few leaves when swallowed can result in severe irritation of the mouth and throat, vomiting and diarrhoea, decrease in blood pressure, coma and in very severe cases, death.

 

  • Oleander – While beautiful to look at, this plant is highly toxic to dogs and can cause heart abnormalities resulting in death, muscle tremors, vomiting and diarrhoea.

 

  • Cyclamen – When eaten can irritate the mouth and throat, and create heart abnormalities, seizures and death.

 

  • Tulips – Ingestion can cause pain and irritation of the mouth and throat, nausea and excessive drooling. The entire plant is toxic; however the bulb is the most poisonous.

 

  • Amaryllis –When ingested can result in vomiting and diarrhoea, tremors and excessive drooling.

 

  • Daffodil – If swallowed, the bulb of this plant can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, convulsions and drop in blood pressure, potentially leading to death.

 

If you suspect your dog may have ingested a toxic plant, seed or berry don’t delay – get them to a vet or animal hospital straight away and if possible, take a leaf or seed from the plant with you.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of all tree and plant species that can be toxic to dogs. There are hundreds of species that can cause adverse reactions.

For more information check out these sites:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/pplants.htm

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons/ or ask your local vet for advice.

Get in Touch


1 Frances Rd
Arana Hills Qld 4054

Quick Quote

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This