If you have trees in your yard, you could be forgiven for not giving them that much thought. They’ve been there forever with no problems – right? That is, until something does go wrong and you’ve got a tree through your roof in the next severe storm. BIG problem.
Trees can get sick and become hazardous if you don’t know what you’re looking for, so it’s important to know the signs of both a healthy tree and an unhealthy tree, for the safety of you, your family and your home.
Let’s take a closer look at the key indicators that will help you determine if your tree is in tip top shape, or in trouble.
Signs Of A Healthy Tree:
- Leaves – healthy leaves should be plentiful and in the appropriate colour, size and shape for the species
- Strong bark with no missing patches, peeling or loose bark, however for some trees this can be normal
- Signs of new growth – a healthy tree should produce new growth each year. Note that every species is different so the amount of growth will be dependent on the species and also on the weather conditions. For example, in times of drought gum trees will not grow much at all
- Strong, well-formed branches with an absence of dead, diseased or dying branches
Signs Your Tree Could Be Sick:
- Abnormalities in leaves – discolouration, blemishes, changes in size and shape, holes, visible presence of pests, lack of leaves and leaf loss
- Shedding, peeling, loose or missing bark
- Dead, dying or broken branches
- The tree is leaning where it was straight before
- Evidence of pest infestation
- Fungus growth
- Cracks, cavities or holes in the trunk or limbs
- Wilting of leaves
- Lack of cones in softwoods (pine trees, cypress trees, conifer trees etc) and lack of fruit or flowers in hardwoods (gum trees, apple trees, leopardwood trees etc.)
If you’d rather take the guess work out of your tree care and want to ensure your tree’s health and longevity, ask the experts and talk to an Arborist. Arborists are highly knowledgeable and skilled, and will be able to instantly spot if there are any issues with your trees. Once an assessment is carried out, and any issues identified, the Arborist will be able to advise you on the best course of action and provide you with a tree care and maintenance plan to promote your tree’s health. If it is determined that your tree is dying or already dead and at risk of falling over, the Arborist may recommend that the tree be removed.
Getting The Best Tree Care
Here at Aussie Tree Solutions, we’ve been taking care of Brisbane trees for over 35 years. Our team of professional Arborists offer a full range of tree care services including tree pruning, tree removal, stump grinding and Consulting Arborist services. Whatever your tree care needs, we’ve got the solution! Call us today on (07) 3351 1722 to find out more about our reliable, safe tree care services for healthy trees.