A new year, and a new you. Isn’t what they always say? And out with the old, in with the new. The New Year is the time of the year when you want to shake off all the dust and start anew. You might start a new diet, say goodbye to sugary drinks, or finally begin that hobby you’ve been thinking about. But when it comes to your yard, the best way to refresh it is with a proper and thorough tree trimming.
Trimming your trees around the holiday season is something tons of homeowners try to do. Not only do they want to get all their chores done before the new year, but they also want to give their home that brand-new look. So we’ve compiled some of the most helpful tree trimming tips for the New Year period. Enjoy!
Why Tree Trimming Is A Responsibility, Not a Choice
Letting your tree grow on its own for years on end might seem like common sense, but like anything else, giving your tree regular maintenance through pruning or trimming is the best way to live with one in your yard. Some of the top reasons why trees need to be trimmed on a regular basis include:
- Your Family’s Safety: Trees can grow in wild and unexpected ways, with some branches reaching out over the yard, patio, and even the roof of your home. If these branches grow too long and too heavy, a light storm could knock them down, causing damage to whatever is underneath.
- Your Tree’s “Look”: What’s better: a tree that looks like it comes straight out of a forest, or one that has been trimmed and pruned by expert hands to look like it was made exactly for your yard? Tree trimming can also help improve your tree’s productivity, resulting in higher fruit or flower yield.
- Tree Health: And of course, you have to consider the tree’s overall health. Diseased, dead, and out-of-place branches can damage and even kill your tree. By cutting these branches off, you give your tree a tougher core, promoting longer sustainability.
Knowing When Your Tree Needs Trimming
Knowing how regularly you need to trim your tree to keep it in top shape is just as important as the trimming itself. Some suggest that it’s safe to trim your trees at last once a year, but this can depend on the type of tree in your yard. Instead of holding to a hard rule, it’s better to keep your eyes open for signs that your tree is due for a trimming. Possible signs include:
- The tree or parts of the tree make it difficult to see important areas, such as the street or your yard
- The tree has recently lost some branches because of a storm or other bad weather. When these limbs start falling onto your power lines, it’s crucial that you leave the branch removal to the professionals for safety
- The tree has grown too big and unruly that it now threatens your property or home. It’s cheaper, safer, and easier to trim and prune a tree rather than fix your roof
How to Get Through Tree Trimming Injury-Free
Injuries are a major concern when trimming trees, especially if it’s your first or second time doing it. The ideal way of handling unruly trees is by hiring professionals to do the job. However, if you would prefer to do it yourself, here are some safety rules you need to consider regarding branch size:
- If the branch is 5 centimetres in diameter or less, then cut it
- If the branch is between 5-10 centimetres in diameter, assess your surroundings before cutting
- If the branch is larger than 10 centimetres in diameter, do NOT cut it. Instead, hire a professional tree trimmer to help you out.
Need Help From The Professionals? Call Us Today!
If your trees have gotten too big or unruly to handle on your own, it’s highly recommended that you leave the work to the professionals, and at Aussie Tree Solutions, we know everything there is to know trimming and cutting trees.
Without burning a hole in your wallet, Aussie Tree Solutions can turn your trees from huge and messy to pristine and picturesque. Look, safety, and health are our top concerns, and we will do everything to make sure your trees contribute to a positive and healthy home environment.
Call us today for an obligation-free tree trimming quote! Find out how affordable having your trees trimmed professionally can be.
*All tree work should be done in accordance to local council regulations. Before conducting any tree work please contact either your local council or tree specialists for the latest regulations. Aussie Tree Solutions are professional tree removal, pruning and maintenance experts. For any questions relating these services, please call Aussie Tree Solutions on 07 3351 1722.